Technique Tuesday - Paint with Lucy Edson

It is with great pleasure that I post brand new AMM Designer Lucy Edson's first Technique Tuesday!

Paint is one of my favorite accents for a project. Gesso is what I seem to reach for first – not just a primer for canvases any more, it is widely used in the mixed media world for antiquing, glazing or adding texture and I love to use it as paint on a scrapbook layout.

In my layout ‘My Chick’ I painted gesso under the photo to act as a photo mat – with a busy pattern like this Prima paper it is easy to lose the focal point of your photo unless you make it really stand out. After painting it on, I wiped a little away to soften the look and let some of the background show through.
Another way to use Gesso is to splatter it now, I like a grungy messy look sometimes and this is a great way to achieve that. Note the splatter beside the photo mat and at the top. I just dip my brush and then give it a flick – watch out for oversplatter. *wink*

I also like to use paint to act as journaling lines or under a title to make it stand out. I painted free form scallops along the left edge of my page to journal on. Just load a flat brush with a small amount of paint and do a series of small curves – you can sketch it in first with a pencil if you are nervous. After it was dry I also did some outlining with a black pen.I also used a little more gesso to drag some light lines under the title and on the edges to accent the distressing.

And here is the end result:
You certainly can use any paint you have on hand in a similar way – black paint makes a strong accent – I use mostly acrylic because it is fast drying and with a thin coat doesn’t warp your paper. I would love to see your ideas and project using paint on your layouts – link them up here or show them to us in the gallery! Just have fun and experiment! See you soon!



Jen Sue Wild said...

You made that look so easy!

Chris C said...

Oh WOW Lucy - I'm heading to M's this weekend to pick up some supplies!

Graziscrap said...

It seems to be easy and it´s so beautiful. I´ll try some day!!!

Bethany Kartchner said...

great job Lucy! I love it!